Commercial property protection from the elements
Buying a commercial property is an investment. Then when you get the interior configured and set up, the exterior landscaped and parking lot striped and ready for business. What about the roof? Like the roof on your home is an essential component, so is your structure’s commercial roofing.
Before buying the property, you had the structure inspected, including the commercial roofing. Did it need repair or replacement? What type of commercial roofing structure is best for your commercial property?
You’ve spent all this money on it so far, so you want to get the best deal for your money. You want a type of commercial roofing that will hold up to the climate and environment. It’s all about protecting your structure, the contents, the occupants, and the most return of investment.
What are the different types of commercial roofs?
Here, we are going to describe four types of commercial roofing. A brief explanation is included with the description to help determine which is the best type of commercial roofing is best for your commercial structure:
- Metal Roofing Material: Conventional roofing doesn’t work for most commercial structures. They don’t provide the durability need for long lifespans. Metal roofing material is the best solution. Within the metal roofing material category, commercial properties are well-suited with corrugated roofs, standing seam metal roofs, and some other options.
- Single-Ply Membranes Materials: A commercial structure with a flat roof is best suited with a single-ply membrane material that provides waterproofing. It is easy and fast to install by professional commercial roofing contractors. his structure can be quickly and easily installed by a professional.
- Modified Bitumen Material: Modified Bitumen is used in many commercial structures. The asphalt material is durable, long-lasting, and waterproof. A professional commercial roofing contractor must do repairs or replacements.
- Built-Up Roofing Material: This type of commercial roofing is widely used in all climates. It offers layers asphalt that makes it durable, waterproofed, and will withstand the test of time.
What is the most durable roofing material?
Using natural gas and oil, synthetic rubber is composed to create a popular commercial roofing material: EPDM rubber roofing. This roofing material offers a durable roof cover at a low cost, which contributes to its popularity.
EPDM stands for “ethylene propylene diene monomer,” and the chemical compound has an elasticity that accounts for is flexibility. The toughness of the material accounts for the durability makes it resistant to constant ultraviolet light and the damaging rays of the sun. Combining all of these reasons leads to the popularity of this material for commercial roofing.
Why are commercial building roofs flat?
Most commercial roofing is flat for several reasons:
- Less expensive installation
- Easy maintenance
- Provides more efficient interior and exterior space
Flat commercial roofing is less expensive because it has less area to cover roofs cost less for several reasons. There is less surface area to cover, and they are easier to install, taking less labor. Maintenance is less expensive because of less labor in caring for them, spotting issues and potential problems are easier to find and repair.
One strategy of commercial property owners for choosing flat commercial roofing is the operating costs are less, starting with the air conditioning unit. They can be installed on the roof instead of the ground, eliminating vandalism. Flat commercial roofing is ideal for solar panels to be installed, which help with energy costs, another money-saving feature. A flat roof is becoming more popular as building owners are discovering that flat commercial roofing is ideal for a rooftop garden. These are placed where the commercial roof beams can support the weight, determined after an engineering inspection.
How long should a commercial roof last?
Flat commercial roofing made with traditional materials has an expected life span between 10 years up to 25 years. Key to the longevity of commercial roofing is by your maintenance team every month and professional commercial roof inspection. Each month with the maintenance team inspection, a through commercial roof cleaning can help extend the lifespan of a roof.
How do you install roofing?
Installing commercial roofing is different from one structure to the next because of the type of material chosen and the installation method. On popular commercial roofing system is a Spray Foam roof because of the ease to install:
This is the simplest of commercial roofing installations and is done in a three-plus step process, starting with a power wash that removes all debris. Once the roof is clean, the spray foam is applied directly, which can be time-consuming if there are many protrusions, like commercial roof fans, plumbing vents, HVAC systems, etc. After the spray foam is installed, an acrylic or silicone coating is applied to reflect the UV rays and protects the foam.
A commercial structure is an investment that needs to be protected by the best commercial roofing possible. Budget is always an issue, but the practicality of the roof and its durability are key factors as well. Choosing the right commercial roofing material will determine the ROI you can expect. Get started on your commercial roofing in Georgetown, TX when you call Apex Roofing at (512) 677-6817 today.